The importance of Cracow as a center of Renaissance humanism during the late fifteenth and sixteenth centuries has long been recognized by Anglophone historians and linguists interested in the early modern achievements of scholars at the Jagiellonian University and their contacts with Italian counterparts. Among the more familiar figures are the humanist Filippo Buonaccorsi, called Callimachus (1437–1496), who served as tutor to the sons of King Casimir IV Jagiellon (r. 1447–92), and Nicolaus Copernicus, who studied ancient Greek, mathematics, and astronomy at the Jagiellonian. In spite of Cracow’s renown as a humanist center, there is a paucity of English-language scholarship dedicated to the architecture of Poland-Lithuania, which at its greatest extent, in the early seventeenth century, was the largest state in Europe. This lacuna is in part due to factors such as the linguistic inaccessibility of secondary scholarship written in Polish, as well as geopolitical circumstances between 1939 and 1989....
Review: King Sigismund Chapel at Cracow Cathedral (1515–1533), by Stanisław Mossakowski
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Carolyn Guile; Review: King Sigismund Chapel at Cracow Cathedral (1515–1533), by Stanisław Mossakowski. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 1 March 2014; 73 (1): 173–174. doi: https://doi.org/10.1525/jsah.2014.73.1.173
Download citation file: