Perhaps the single most contentious issue in studies of the New Sacristy of San Lorenzo in Florence is whether or not Michelangelo built the Medici funerary chapel ex novo. Recent studies have suggested that in the early 1490s, Lorenzo the Magnificent de' Medici had commenced an ambitious project for a mortuary chapel for himself and his slain brother, Giuliano, on the site of the New Sacristy. The hypothetical reconstruction of this quattrocento structure is, in part, predicated upon the destruction of a small corridor/chapel at the northwest corner of San Lorenzo, known as the Ginori corridor or androne. This article presents new documentary evidence, found in an inventory of the basilica of San Lorenzo that was undertaken in 1507, which confirms that the Ginori corridor still stood in the early-sixteenth century. The documented survival of the Ginori androne in the first years of the Cinquecento casts doubt on the recently-proposed reconstruction of a Laurentian funerary monument begun in the early 1490s and serves to strengthen arguments that Michelangelo built the New Sacristy from the ground up.
Skip Nav Destination
Research Article| September 01 1993
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Sheryl E. Reiss; The Ginori Corridor of San Lorenzo and the Building History of the New Sacristy. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 1 September 1993; 52 (3): 339–343. doi: https://doi.org/10.2307/990839
Download citation file: