The histories of the construction of Piazza del Collegio Romano and of Palazzo D'Aste, both in Rome, located in close proximity to one another and realized during the papacy of Alexander VII Chigi (1655-1667), are reconstructed on the basis of archival documentation. In the case of Piazza del Collegio Romano (1659-1667), the study reveals the involvement not only of the Jesuits of Collegio Romano but also of Prince Camillo Pamphili and Alexander VII. The history of the piazza project, and especially the relationship between Pamphili and Alexander VII, suggests that the project grew to include the development of Palazzo Pamphili along the Corso and, thus, was conceived in the larger context of the pope's program for via del Corso. The history of Palazzo D'Aste emphasizes the selection of the D'Aste family to develop this critical site at the southernmost end of the Corso, the evolution of the palace design, and the impact of the site on its architecture. In both cases, the role of private builders in the achievement of Alexander VII's ambition to develop the Corso is documented, and the two discrete building projects are linked to the comprehensive planning program for via del Corso.

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this content.