The reconstruction of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem c. 1042-1048 by the Byzantine Emperor Constantine IX Monomachus marks an important turning point in the history of the building. An analysis of the surviving remains of this phase of construction suggests that the plan was determined by an architect from the Byzantine capital, and the construction was carried out by two teams of masons. One workshop was apparently from Constantinople, and the other was trained locally in or around Jerusalem. An analysis of wall and vault construction bears out this conclusion.
Skip Nav Destination
Research Article| March 01 1989
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Robert Ousterhout; Rebuilding the Temple: Constantine Monomachus and the Holy Sepulchre. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 1 March 1989; 48 (1): 66–78. doi: https://doi.org/10.2307/990407
Download citation file: